- 1 Is Assateague Island in Virginia or Maryland?
- 2 Where can I see wild horses in Maryland?
- 3 What’s the difference between Assateague and Chincoteague?
- 4 How do I see wild ponies Assateague?
- 5 Can you stay on Assateague Island?
- 6 Can you swim at Assateague Island?
- 7 Which side of Assateague Island is better?
- 8 Do wild horses drink salt water?
- 9 Where is the best place to see wild horses?
- 10 How much does it cost to go to Assateague Island?
- 11 Where should I stay in Assateague?
- 12 Can you get to Chincoteague from Assateague?
- 13 What is the best time to see the horses on Assateague Island?
- 14 Where can I find Assateague ponies?
- 15 How many horses are on Assateague Island 2020?
Is Assateague Island in Virginia or Maryland?
Assateague Island is a 37 mile long island along the coasts of Maryland and Virginia. Most of the Maryland district is managed by the National Park Service as Assateague Island National Seashore. The State of Maryland manages two miles of the Maryland district as Assateague State Park.
Where can I see wild horses in Maryland?
Assateague Island – Visit the National Park and see the wild ponies. Assateague Island National Seashore is located close to Chincoteague Island, Virginia and Ocean City, Maryland. Assateague contains over 37 miles of pristine beach. More than 300 wild ponies wander the beaches, inland pine forest, and salt marshes.
What’s the difference between Assateague and Chincoteague?
Most people explore both islands in a single trip. Assateague, 37 miles long, is prized for its beaches and ponies, and Chincoteague, seven miles long, is known for its wildlife refuge, dunes, forests, and marshes.
How do I see wild ponies Assateague?
The best option is to park at the State Park or National Park day-use area and enjoy a walk along the trails or beach in search of the horses in their natural habitat. There is no guarantee that by paying the service charge visitors will see horses.
Can you stay on Assateague Island?
Can I stay overnight on Assateague Island? Camping is available in the Maryland portion of Assateague Island National Seashore and in the Maryland State Park. In Virginia, there are privately owned campgrounds on nearby Chincoteague Island. Motels are located in Ocean City, MD and Chincoteague, VA.
Can you swim at Assateague Island?
The Maryland section of Assateague Island National Seashore has two beaches that you can park near and require minimal effort to enjoy. Of course you can swim and sunbathe on the beaches between North and South Ocean beaches as well.
Which side of Assateague Island is better?
We prefer the Maryland side, less crowds, bigger beach, better facilities on the State Park area, and Berlin is always wonderful.
Do wild horses drink salt water?
Absolutely. They do not drink brackish or salt water. Horses are not provided water.
Where is the best place to see wild horses?
10 great places to see wild horses
- Cumberland Island, Ga.
- Tonto National Forest, Ariz.
- Chincoteague, Va.
- Virginia Range, Nev.
- Onaqui herd.
- Gower Peninsula, Wales.
- Camargue, France.
- Sable Island, Canada.
How much does it cost to go to Assateague Island?
Assateague Island National Seashore Changes Entrance Fee to Meet Standardization Requirement
|Per Vehicle||Park Specific Annual Pass|
|Jan 1, 2020||$25||$45|
Where should I stay in Assateague?
Hotels with great access to Assateague Island National Seashore!
- Beach Walk Hotel. Hotel in Boardwalk, Ocean City.
- Comfort Inn Boardwalk. Hotel in Boardwalk, Ocean City.
- Dunes Manor Hotel & Dunes Suites. Hotel in Midtown, Ocean City.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Ocean City.
- Howard Johnson Plaza by Wyndham Ocean City Oceanfront.
Can you get to Chincoteague from Assateague?
There are two entrances to Assateague Island National Seashore. Assateague’s north entrance is at the end of Route 611, eight miles south of Ocean City, MD. The south entrance is at the end of Route 175, two miles east of Chincoteague, VA. There is no vehicle access between the two entrances on Assateague Island.
What is the best time to see the horses on Assateague Island?
Anytime from late April through mid October. Summer is a great time to see the foals. The weather is best at this time of year.
Where can I find Assateague ponies?
Assateague ponies are often found feeding on the salt marsh cordgrass along Assateague’s western shoreline. When traveling by boat, you may encounter Assateague ponies along extensive bay habitats and pine forest of the 37 mile barrier island.
How many horses are on Assateague Island 2020?
ASSATEAGUE ISLAND, Md. – The National Park Service’s March 2020 census of the wild horses on Assateague Island National Seashore found there are 73 horses in the Maryland herd, including 21 stallions and 51 mares, and one new foal whose sex is unknown at this time.