- 1 What are 3 interesting facts about Maryland?
- 2 What is the state of Maryland known for?
- 3 Why is Maryland called that?
- 4 What are the Maryland people called?
- 5 Who is the most famous person in Maryland?
- 6 What are 5 facts about Maryland?
- 7 Why is Maryland the richest state?
- 8 What is the best city to live in Maryland?
- 9 What is illegal in Maryland?
- 10 How safe is Maryland?
- 11 What’s great about Maryland?
- 12 What is the motto of Maryland?
- 13 What is the coldest month in Maryland?
- 14 How can you tell if someone is from Maryland?
- 15 Is it expensive to live in Maryland?
What are 3 interesting facts about Maryland?
5 Interesting Historical Facts About Maryland
- The First Marylanders Were Native Americans. That’s right!
- Maryland Became a British Colony in 1634.
- The U.S. National Anthem Was Written in Maryland.
- Baltimore Received the First Long-Distance Telegram.
What is the state of Maryland known for?
Maryland is known for fishing, and it produces the most blue crabs in the United States. The state is also known for mining coal, clays, natural gas, and limestone.
Why is Maryland called that?
Officially the colony is said to be named in honor of Queen Henrietta Maria, the wife of King Charles I. Some Catholic scholars believe that George Calvert named the province after Mary, the mother of Jesus. The name in the charter was phrased Terra Mariae, anglice, Maryland.
What are the Maryland people called?
People who live in or who come from Maryland are called Marylanders.
Who is the most famous person in Maryland?
From musicians to movie stars, here are 20 famous people from Maryland.
- Edward Norton. Wikimedia Commons.
- William H. Macy.
- Montel Williams. Wikimedia Commons.
- Mike Rowe. Wikimedia Commons.
- Jada Pinkett Smith. Wikimedia Commons.
- Kathie Lee Gifford. Wikimedia Commons.
- Toni Braxton.
- Julie Bowen.
What are 5 facts about Maryland?
Maryland State Quick Facts
- Maryland was the 7th state in the United States of America.
- Maryland was granted statehood on April 28, 1788.
- The state capital of Maryland is Annapolis.
- The largest city in Maryland is Baltimore.
- The population of Maryland is 5,928,814 (source 2013 United States Census Bureau estimate).
Why is Maryland the richest state?
The state’s proximity to Washington’s lucrative jobs, its abundance of workers with advanced degrees, and solid health and research opportunities in the Baltimore area continually keep Maryland at the peak of the economic charts, experts said.
What is the best city to live in Maryland?
Frederick, Easton, Rockville and Baltimore are among the best places to live in Maryland. Located near Washington D.C., many Maryland residents work in the service sector, for government agencies or contractors. Commercial fishing and manufacturing are large industries in Maryland.
What is illegal in Maryland?
Maryland’s weirdest laws Oral sex is illegal in Maryland — giving and receiving. (Read the full law here; it also includes animals.) If you live in Baltimore, it is illegal to take a lion to the movies. If you are a woman married to a man, it is illegal to go through your husband’s pockets while he’s sleeping.
How safe is Maryland?
As in previous years, Maryland had a higher violent crime rate than the national average while logging a smaller property crime rate overall. Among all 50 states, Maryland has the eleventh-highest violent crime rate and the twentieth-lowest property crime rate.
What’s great about Maryland?
It’s a Melting Pot. With several Maryland cities among the most diverse nationally, Maryland is one of the nation’s most robust melting pots. A diverse population brings Marylanders fresh perspectives and amazing cultural experiences. And here, minorities and women have unmatched opportunity in business.
What is the motto of Maryland?
The state motto, Fatti maschii, parole femine (pronounced [ˈfatti ˈmaski paˈrɔːle ˈfeːmine]), has its origin in the archaic Italian and translates as “Manly deeds, womanly words”, or more generally, “Strong deeds, gentle words”, which is the translation the government of Maryland cites officially.
What is the coldest month in Maryland?
Low temperatures in January, the coldest month, average in the low to mid 20s. Since 1871, the mean temperature for Baltimore has been 54.6 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the State Climatologist Office.
How can you tell if someone is from Maryland?
Here are a few signs you know someone is from Maryland.
- 1) They wear flip flops with jeans or sweatshirts with shorts.
- 2) They put Old Bay on everything.
- 3) They’re experts at weaving in and out of traffic.
- 4) They’re shouting “O!” during the National Anthem.
- 5) They’re experts at cornhole.
- 6) They own a Cal Ripken Jr.
Is it expensive to live in Maryland?
Maryland is one of the most expensive states to live in the United States of America. Also known as America in Miniature or Little America, this beautiful US state has a pricy home market. Rent prices in this state are above the US average. Goods and services in the state will cost more than the national average.